Follow on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, May 17, 2010

Bringing Austyn Home... from the hospital


 Many people of have sent me messages recently, confused, because we had a change of plans from home birth to hospital birth. Here's what happened:

     There were a couple reasons actually we had to transfer. First of all, about 2 weeks before my due date I somehow randomly developed shingles. I'm such an unlikely candidate for it considering all the supplements I take, I worked out, ate really well through my pregnancy, not to mention I'm so young. I went to 4 different clinics before anyone would even look at my rashes to diagnose it as shingles. I knew that it was, but needed it diagnosed so that i could start the anti-virals asap before my water breaking. It had been a week before someone (a walk in clinic) told me that it was in fact shingles, but by that time (past 72 hours of outbreak) it was too late to start meds. They told me to ride it out. Ben called the health dept and gave them a piece of his mind for turning me away at the door and after they heard that it was in fact shingles they wanted me to come in and take a look for themselves. Legally, they have to sign off for a home birth. Maria, our midwife, has a license that requires her to have this write off that insures I'm not a high risk candidate.

I scheduled an appt there for Wed morning, 5 days before due date, and the tuesday night beforet my water broke (about 5pm) probably bc i was so stressed about the pain, itch, and mistreatment from the medical field. By the time I arrived for my appt at the health department, my water had been broken for almost 18 hours, and I was told by them that I was considered a high risk for a homebirth. It was definitely too late to start anti-virals, and now I was at risk for infection since my water had been broken for so long with no signs of contractions coming. SOOOO they wouldn't sign me off for it. I had already been cleared in the previous nine months, but if there's any risk for infection to the baby they won't allow you to do a homebirth. What a terrible feeling. I cried so hard as I've never been one to except change easily. They sent all my info to Mercy Medical, which I refused to go there because of the shotty Benton Co. health system and transferred to Washington Regional Hospital in Fayetteville instead. My midwife was familiar with protocols there and has previous experience working with some of their staff as well.

The staff at WRMC allowed Maria to step in from time to time as my advocate. She isn't allowed to make suggestions but if there was anything I was concerned about she would ask questions for me. She helped me with labor coaching, and was by my side the whole time. The staff (very kind people by the way) did push the drugs pretty hard, but it wasn't that hard for me to say no considering had I been at home those drugs would not have been an option. That was another great thing to have Maria around for. My husband was also very supportive in my decision to not get hooked up to anything. I'm so glad I didn't bc had I been numbed at all they wouldn't have allowed me to change positions the way I did.

At one point I was on all fours on the floor, squatting, using the birthing ball, and they even let me squat on top of the bed. It was nice to be able to get up and go the restroom, which I also spent time laboring (haha). My main and only complaint is that i wasn't allowed to eat, which would have been an option at home. It was over 24 hours of not having any nutrition in me, and it was totally exhausting to push with no energy- that was the scariest part for me. However, 19 hours of active labor, and 2 and half hours of pushing later, we got our little girl here.

That was a long story, but pretty much the play by play. I had to receive Pitocin all throughout the labor to keep contractions steady and  I also had to be hooked up to anti-biotics (4 rounds of penicillin) because it had been so long since my water broke before being induced.

Not the happy, peaceful, calm birthing environment, I had planned on, but resulted in a happy ending regardless. Like i said before too, the nurses and OB's we dealt with were very kind and did their best to accommodate to my birth plan. I would recommend Washington Regional to anyone planning on having a baby in the near future. My shingles have since cleared, and baby Austyn is completely healthy and a very sweet child. We have been blessed with yet another gift in life! 

Appreciate all the prayers and support along the way.

1 comment:

  1. We love to hear birth stories...we cannot wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete