Follow on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, April 30, 2010

Anyday now...

     So with 8 days til our due date, we have little left to do other than the continual mental preparation. How much can you really prepare for what will imminently change your lives forever? We purchased a new camera with an 8GB memory card capable of holding up to 3200 pix or 3 hours of video. We'll be using both for the homebirth and will be very eager to share with everyone. Ben took this picture of me the other night: 38 weeks and 4 days-

   All in all, as most of you have read, I have had an extremely easy pregnancy. I'm very grateful for the smooth transition into becoming a mother thus far. However, since we're being honest here, something came up this week that has really thrown me for a loop. Somehow I developed shingles. Upon doing research my symptoms and appearance of lesions are identical of what has been researched on shingles. It's basically the same thing as the chicken pox that lies dormant in your system, from previously having chickenpox, until your immune system is weakened or stressed. I take supplements everyday, eat fairly healthy, and still get out to exercise when energy levels allow me to. Unfortunately, although good stress, the changes that occur with a woman being a first time mom in her third trimester brings inevitable stress. So it really isn't all that uncommon to develop a virus such as this. 

     Shingles can be treated fairly quickly with anti-viral medications such as Valtrex and other similar antidotes, but being so close to my due date and having not taken any medicine prior, with the exception of one tylenol and two benadryls in the entire course of my pregnancy, I don't think it's a good idea to introduce it now to my system or my baby. Shingles is only really likely to affect a fetus younger than 30 weeks AND shingles will dissipate on its own after a few short weeks in most occurrences. 

     Crazy huh? I did receive acupuncture today for the first time ever to interrupt the pain cycle associated with shingles, and then followed up with an ultrasound treatment that felt AMAZING! I could really tell where the nerves are affected due to the virus. I can continue to receive the ultrasound treatment daily to help with pain and healing, along with regular chiropractic adjustments. Some of you may read this and think "Ah phooey", but I've become a true advocate for naturopathy. It's nice being healed through simple measures without the unnecessary side effects that come with taking medications. I will say that yes, sometimes medicine is detrimental to ones cure, but not always.

     So it's disappointing that with a such a wonderful pregnancy has come this ailment in the last few days before Austyn's arrival, but yet another learning experience to say the least. Keep us in your prayers for the wonderful world of labor pain that is about to be! ;) Which reminds me... I had a fun little episode of false labor last night. I didn't feel too alarmed since the 'contractions' I felt were so irregular, but it was kind of exciting knowing that the big day is quickly approaching! I'll continue to post as time nears!

Much love,

Kelly

p.s. Ben just began his softball league. He plays double headers every Thursday night. Last night were the first games. Both WINS and great plays were made by my all star hubby.

No comments:

Post a Comment