Follow on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Birth Plan

We've been through a couple of visualizations practices lately, imagining our birth, stage by stage. I have no idea what to expect, especially this being our first birth, and as I've read, no two pregnancies are alike or can go according to textbook. However, I've been asked to come up with a birth plan. As far as our needs go-

Birth Kit and Water pool- both placed in individual boxes in the living room- ready for take off
Tarp to be placed with birth kit/ watercpool
Extra towels- Located in guest bathroom cabinet
Linens for bed change- in master bathroom closet
Snacks- bananas, juice, cereal, pbjs, tangelos, granola bars, etc... everyday essentials for energy boosts
Outfits picked out for Austyn's debut- i have 3 preselected ones in top drawer of lingerie chest.
Receiving blankets (6-8)- will be placed with birth kit box
Aromatherapy-
     Candles- Lavender and Chamomile 
     Roll on stick- peppermint and geranium
     Oils- I have lavender and also a lemon grass scent... both can be used for massage but not for pool use

Contacts- Plan on contacting those who have requested- best friends and family members upon entering active labor
Ben may also have TENS unit, hot packs (crockpots need to be ready- located in either cabinets next to stove)
My outfit for afterbirth- likely my gray short nightgown located in top of red drawers in master closet.

CAMERA- We have a video camera with VHS, but also a new Nikon Coolpix camera. We've purchased an 8GB card that will store up to 3 hours of video. Alternate cards can be used for pix as well if needed. Both will be located in master bath closet.

Upon feeling contractions, use stop watch located in master bathroom-countertop. Take note.
Go about my day- eat a light meal, do some light house cleaning, update blog, take dogs for a walk, visit with Ben, watch a movie. 

Here's the tough part- not sure what to expect or where my head will be at upon going into active labor. I can assume things will begin to get harder, my nervousness will likely set in. Lean on Ben for support. Cry. Request pressure point/massage-

Prepare music selection- I have a few stations preselected on Pandora.com that can stream:
1. Acoustic Guitar Station- use for free movement to help relax body
2. Opus 17- A classical station- can use to focus and relax
3 Calm Meditation Radio- use for hardest part of labor. Incorporate hypnosis if possible. 
-Under the Downloads section in my computer you can also find a deep relaxation tool- Go to Documents/Music/Hypnobabies-Relax Me Script-double click... it will play in windows media player for 30 minutes.

The rest is all up to my body, timing on Austyn's behalf, support of Ben, Maria, and Misty, and the sole importance of breath control.

After birth- I will need a high protein meal- eggs are always a good choice!  (ben makes excellent scrambled)

Mom will be flying in from Texas and has told me not to worry about preparing meals. She's bringing some of her own recipes- one of which I requested- Turkey, mint meatloaf.

Again, make contacts for announcement of Austyn's arrival- weight, time born, and pic if possible!

Back up Emergency Plan:

Have a couple outfits packed for hospital, for Austyn and myself. Maria will know of signs and symptoms to look for in case of transport. If labor is abnormally long, if there are excessive signs of bleeding or fetal distress. We will contact Washington Regional where my current status will be provided and medical staff will be waiting on my arrival. 

Car needs to be gassed up, and have someone on call to come over and check on dogs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment