Follow on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Spring is here!

We are now within the one month range of seeing our precious baby girl's face. Childbirth classes are going well. They last for approximately 3 hours getting us home late, but we are filled with wonderful tidbits of reality and what to expect in the transformation of becoming parents. We had a good trip to Little Rock this past weekend. Ben knocked out all of his CE's for the year attending the Arkansas Chiropractic Council Conference. It was a long weekend for him, but he really seemed to bring back a lot of practical knowledge that he will soon be applying to his techniques and business realm. 

I had a shower thrown by Emily Choate and Lauren Jarratt. It was a total success with lots of great company, delectable foods, and I was able to cross off a grand portion of what remained on my registry. My rocker will be in next week and I absolutely can not wait to put those final touches in the nursery.

This weekend is Mt.Home trip. Ben will get to venture out into the woods in search of some turkeys, I'll be attending a jewelry shower with Mimi (Ben's mom, Perri) and sister in law, Susi. Afterwards I'll get to enjoy some much awaited time on the White River. Ben and I love to get out on the river when we can and with the wonderful Spring weather we've been blessed with, we'll be saying goodbye to winter blues and hello to rainbows- trouts that is. =) 


Things are going exceptionally well at this time. Measuring 37 cm, 28 Lbs gained, Austyn is still head down and we're waiting for her to get engaged. People ask me if I'm ready. I'm definitely more ready now than ever before, and everyday just trying to get that much more prepared. My family and some of my closest friends continue to express thorough concern for our decision to labor at home. I wanted to compile a list of FAQs up to date:

1. what if you labor for a long time?
A. Then I may have to labor for a long time. It's part of the natural process and experience. Here are some suggested natural remedies to induce labor. 

1. Eat spicy foods or pineapple.
2. Go for a walk or march up some stairs. This is thought to bring on labor because of the pressure of the baby's head pressing down on your cervix. At the very least, walking can help get your baby into a better position for labor.
3. Have sex. A favorite for many pregnant women, sex can help by releasing a hormone called oxytocin, which causes the uterus to contract. Additionally, semen contains a substance known as prostaglandins, which will help soften the cervix.
4. Nipple stimulation. For those who find sex just too uncomfortable right now, nipple stimulation may be a better choice. It helps to bring on labor in much the same way sex does, by releasing oxytocin. However, this method may take a bit more effort than sex to start labor.
5. Stretching of the uterine opening membranes. This can be done by your doctor or midwife and has been found to increase the chances of labor starting within 48 hours.
6. Complementary therapies. Acupuncture, massage, teas, herbs and homeopathic remedies can be helpful when it comes to inducing labor. However, make sure you go to a licensed practitioner who has experience treating pregnant women.

2. What if something happens? 
A. This is my most FAQ without a doubt! Which is translated into, you're not in a hospital, what if something happens. As previously stated, Maria is totally certified and experienced in knowing what to expect, look for, etc. on what is or is not "normal". If an emergency arrives I will follow our backup EMERGENCY plan of being transported to Washington Regional Hospital in Fayetteville. It would take us approximately 10-15 minutes to get there and staff there are familiar with Maria, what she does, and she would continue throughout my stay as my advocate. This goes for Austyn's and my own well being/care.

3. Worst Case Scenarios?
A. In my mind obviously is ultimately death. On my end and on Austyn's. I can't control circumstances whether in a hospital or on my own time in my home. If something that extreme were to happen at least you all would know that I was where I was most comfortable. I know that my soul will reach heaven, and you all should know that I'm currently happier in my life now than I have ever been in 27 years. All depressing thoughts aside... My fears of "something happening" would be just as great if not greater knowing that I would be birthing in the hospital. The Cesarean rate is at an all time high in 40 years, Arkansas reaching 3rd place I believe in the highest incidences of C-Sections. I do not plan on being one of those numbers caused by many unnecessary hospital interventions. I will however, be open to leaving my home and receiving one if no other option is available. But with my body's ability to produce oxytocin; the coping strategies I have for pain relief, the ability to eat, walk, shower, soak, etc at my leisure which will also help in the natural process of birthing and relaxing, I have all the confidence in the world that I CAN DO THIS! I will do this. My husband has faith in me and my midwife knows me better than I can ever imagine an OBGYN would ever have the chance to know me. They know how capable I am of experiencing this the way i want. If there ever were a doubt, they would not let me endanger myself or sweet Austyn. 

There are procedures and protocols that Maria is trained in such as if I were to hemorrhage, if the cord is wrapped around Austyn's neck, if Austyn becomes breeched, along with other scenarios that no one ever expects to encounter, but that sometimes will be dealt with in rare cases. 

I will ask of you all again to just keep us in your prayers. If you have negative thoughts or feedback on our decisions, I just want to kindly encourage you to do research on the safety, statistics, and satisfaction of homebirths. Watch some videos. I highly recommend The Business of Being Born; a great film that triggered my interest in laboring at home myself. I know that by asking questions and showing your concerns just ultimately means you care about us and love us. I will forever be grateful for that love. 

I hope to get some snapshots of us on the river this weekend. It'll be a great time and then on to rest back at home until Austyn decides when her birthday will be. I absolutely can not wait! Love you all, and for those of you who are keeping up with this blog, I appreciate your open mindedness and willing to listen to our views. Goodnight and many blessings! 

Kelly    

No comments:

Post a Comment